On 21 December 2020, PALAST signed an operational agreement with CIHEAM Bari to formalize their partnership in the framework of the project “Youth and Innovation for Sustainable Use of Water and Marine Resources in the Mediterranean“ (WATERMEDYIN)
This ambitious project, implemented by CIHEAM Bari and funded by the Italian Cooperation (DGCS-AICS), is a regional initiative involving the Agriculture Ministries of Lebanon, Palestine Tunisia, and at a later stage, Egypt . It is aimed to strengthen Innovation Support Organizations (ISOs) and the start-ups committed towards the sustainable management of water and coastal/marine resources.
WaterMedYin Geared towards women and young entrepreneurs, the project aims at establishing a regional network of collaboration and partnership for innovation, by broadening the Mediterranean Innovation Partnership (MIP), set up by CIHEAM Bari in 2016.
WATERMEDYIN project aims at contributing to sustainable development in line with SDGs, promoting youth entrepreneurship, youth inclusion and socio-economic opportunities in the water and marine-coastal sectors in the Mediterranean Region. Special attention will be paid to the development of women-led businesses. The water and coastal resources sector has been chosen for its relevance with the main issues of the Region, and for the possible multiple benefits and expected impact, in terms of: managing the demand for water resources, efficiency of water networks and health services, pollution reduction, contribution to groundwater replenishment, improvement of access to water in areas not served, better management of marine-coastal resources. The initiative will set up a network of innovation, created with a coherent and coordinated approach, contributing to the sustainability of socio-economic development, protection of natural resources and enhancement of the immaterial and material cultural heritage of the Mediterranean communities
- Contribute to sustainable development in the Mediterranean, through the promotion of youth entrepreneurship, youth inclusion and socio-economic opportunities in the water and marine sectors
- Improve the contribution of businesses run by young people (under 35) to the sustainable management of water and marine resources in Tunisia, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine.
- Enhance the contribution given by youth-led (<35 yo) innovative companies to the sustainable management of water and coastal/marine resources in Tunisia, Egypt, Lebanon and Palestine.
- Set-up of a Mediterranean network of innovation for sustainable management of water and marine resources
- Improvement of the services provided by Innovation Support Organizations
- Capacity building of young innovators and support to business start-up
- Networking and awareness raising on the preservation of water and marine resources
- Promotion of development-oriented policies that support productive activities, decent job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation, and encouraging the formalization and growth of micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises, including through access to financial services. In addition, Watermedyin tackles the core issues highlighted by SDG 6 SDG 15.
TYPE OF SERVICES PROVIDED
- Establish a Mediterranean network of innovative enterprises
- Provide information on the preservation of water and marine coastal resources