The Palestinian German Science Bridge Advisory Committee meeting took place via Videoconference, to discuss several topics. Post the approval from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) for extending the PGSB until mid 2024 with further 3.2 Million Euro in support for the development of the scientific cooperation between Palestine and Germany. Such support included exchanged visits, joint workshops and scholarships for BSc, MSc. and PhD students.
The 5th Cooperative workshop scheduled to take place in Germany during June 2020 was cancelled due to the global COVID 19 pandemic, which lead to changes in the activities and plans for interviewing candidates via Videoconference with the advisory committee.
- BSc., MSc. candidates interviewed by supervisor, after then approved by Advisory Committee
- PhD candidates interviewed by supervisors and advisory committee
PGSB program has received 6 research cluster proposals in the following topics:
- Structural biology
- Intelligent pedestrian dynamics
- Hydrogen economy and integrated sustainability research (IEK-STE)
- Closing nutrient cycles for agricultural sustainability
And they agree to share and introduce the research clusters topics to the PGSB steering committee for discussion and planning assistance, and how this concept fits in at the universities, after that to have the recognition from advisory committee for offering financial resources, and possibilities of opening the research clusters to include other partners.
The PGSB Advisory Committee discussed plans for a returner’s program (PostDoc positions), a draft concept with guidelines and selection process will be present to the steering committee for ideas and to get their feedback. 10 PostDoc positions will be available for two years each.
The suggested procedure, with selection candidates by advisory committee will be based on the following criteria:
- Scientific excellence
- Connection to research cluster
- Clear commitment from Palestinian university to participate in the career advancement of the young scientist
- Proposal of a sustainable research cooperation/project idea
- Proof that the candidate has been a good advocate for PGSB
The Advisory Committee was agreed to have other replacement activities regarding Progress reports from PGSB Fellows, as video recording of presentations of the PGSB Fellows as a competition to up 5 prizes awarded.